Social networking in Kansas City doesn't happen in a vacuum.
300 to 1. Remember that ratio.
It happens in the World of Web 2.0, a world all about collaboration and interaction.
Ultimately, the cycle is concluded, and driven again, when we meet with one another, friends, coworkers, neighbors, networkers...Face to face.
To succeed in social networking in Kansas City, you have to open yourself up to the Web 2.0 world. By using the six degrees of separation concept, you are approximately six steps away from everyone else in Kansas City. "That's a lot of friends" and obviously you don't have to be connected to everyone else in Kansas City to be a successful Kansas City business person, although it would be nice.
Social networking is the technology that enables you to reach anyone you want in Kansas City. By opening your eyes and sharing good thoughtful content and ideas you will soon become connected in Kansas City. Successful social media networkers understand that selling doesn't work and that being recognized as an expert will reap more positive rewards.
Would you go into a crowded room and start selling widgets? Probably not, right? First you go in and build up conversations. Once you have built up a relationship with a person then you introduce the widget. If you bring out the widget to fast subconsciously the people in the room start migrating to the other side.
Here are my 5 Steps to get connected in Kansas City and be successful in promoting your Kansas City business:
1) Start a Facebook Profile and add friends. Then friends of friends.
2) Join groups like Kansas City Networking and KC Online Community. These are great groups to meet fellow Kansas Citians.
3) Start a Facebook Page and start promoting your product, place of business or your service. Have your contact information visible.
4) Start a twitter account and share industry news. Share your thoughts about current events and start conversations.
5) Start a blog. Share thoughts, pictures and industry news. Promote businesses that you do business with in Kansas City. Those businesses will in turn promote your business.
7) attend networking events in Kansas City. Plan to be there early and stay late to network with members. Try to meet with the People of Influence (POI). After you are done with the event send a thank you email to people you've met with links on how to find you. Kansas City Networking is sponsoring a networking event this Wednesday from 3:30-5. There will be opportunities for you to network with 75+ area business people. To sign up go to: http://www.KansasCityMattters.com
To be successful you need to constantly be adding People of Influence to your Sphere of Influence (SOI). Interact with your new friends and followers. Comment on their Facebook walls, Tweets, blog post and status updates. By creating online conversations around your business topic, your friends and followers will identify you as an expert.
Each 1 of us comes incontact with 300 people on a regular basis. See!? You're already on your way!
Connect with Kansas City Networking:
Connect with the creator of Kansas City Networking: