5 Signs You Need a Roof Replacement
by Tim Gorman
Posted on April 11, 2017 at 10:00 AM
Unless you notice a leak in your house, when do you ever think twice about replacing your roof? And if so, is it a simple fix or are you in need of a complete roof replacement? Here are 5 signs that your roof may need to be replaced:
- Check inside. The first place to look is actually not on the roof but inside. Go into your attic and see if there is any stains or light penetrating through the roof. Check for moisture build up as well as this may be a sign of a leak.
- Age. If possible try and find past records of when the roof was installed, replaced, or repaired. Usually roofs last around 20-25 years so that may be a strong indication on how much life your roof has left.
- Inspect Shingles. Shingles should lay flat on the roof, if you notice that the shingles are starting to curl up or crack it is time for a repair. Also check your gutters for granules as older roofs tend to lose more.
- Flashing. Check to make sure all your vents, chimneys, and windows on your roof are all sealed. If the flashing is cracked or broken, this will cause leaks in your roof. If your house is older, upgrading to a more durable metal flashing will help.
- Sagging. Obviously if your roof begins to sag then you have a problem. This is a strong indicator that your roof is in need of replacement.
If you feel your roof is of age, or if you are having chronic issues, it is time to inspect or get someone to come out and check your roof. Replacing an entire roof can be an investment but think about how much you will spend if you constantly have to repair it. Contact a roofing service if you feel any of these signs apply to your roof.